[CT Birds] Help with ID

james.bair at snet.net james.bair at snet.net
Wed Mar 31 17:58:02 EDT 2010

Dear Marty:

You wrote:

Last night  (5:45ish) , saw a duck in a pond in Woodbury from the road - I pulled over to side of road and used binocs to look for awhile (until another car came) and through the trees I think I saw what Peterson describes as a lesser scaup - I am not familiar with them but is it likely to see a male this time of year on a fresh water pond?

It is possible, but did you rule out Ring-Necked Duck? They are pretty common during migration on fresh water ponds, and will even winter over on them if the ponds don't freeze.

Jim Bair