[CT Birds] (no subject)

Shelley Harms shelleyharms at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 08:29:09 EDT 2010

Sent this to the bird report, should have sent it here - Shelley Harms, Norfolk, March 31
MY HOODED MERGANSERS ARE BACK!
A pair, swimming
& diving on my little pond.  I was walking down there today
to check on
wood frog eggs - have heard frogs quacking.  Maybe the
mergansers are eating
them.  They were not spooked by me at all, just like
last year.
They
nested in my wood duck box last year.  First date I saw them last year
was
April 22, 2009  Last day I saw Mr. M. was May 7.  Last day I saw Mrs. M was
May
10.  Starting May 10, I saw crows in the vicinity of the nest box.  May
17,
nest box was open, nest hanging out the front, remnants of 2 eggs on the

ground.
I need to predator-proof my wood duck box!  Thinking of wrapping
it with
duct tape so nothing (not even me) can open it.  Any
suggestions?