[CT Birds] Southport Survey #225

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Apr 1 16:59:08 EDT 2010

Southport Survey # 225
The tide was low, the water rippled. the Sky was cloudy with a
Northwest breeze. Off shore there were small groups of Long-tailed
Ducks flying about with several flocks of 50 or more scattered to the
west. There were plenty of Red-throated Loons and Horned Grebes
scattered about. The one Great Cormorant was on the flyby. Flocks of
Brant were moving about as the tide was falling.

I had two odd occurrences. The 4 Great Blue Heron were seen flying
out on the sound. Now, these birds were not flying high in formation
as one expected, but flapping low over the water. A couple of times
they twisted and turned like they wanted to land in the water.
Imagine a Great Blue Heron sitting on the sound! The second thing is
that the birds were flying along the shore not across the sound. I
tracked them from off Norwalk to past Sunken Island.

The second odd occurrence was a flock of 10 fish crows flying about
Sunken Island. Later I saw another group of crows at PIne Creek Beach
feeding on the Barnacles. They scraped with the sides of the beaks
like I have seen gulls do.

The golf course continues to be empty except for one Killdeer.
Southport Harbor had only 2 Bufflehead and 2 Double-crested
Cormorants (first of the season). One of the pairs of swans started
building nest a nest again. All this rain has really messed up duck
breeding. At Southport Beach a large proportion of the gulls were
immatures. The Osprey that nest on the tower outside Southport Harbor
have returned and started piling sticks. I also has a pair to tree
swallows flying by.

At Burying Hill Beach there continued to be a large number of Long-
tailed Ducks off shore. The numbers were similar to that found in
Fairfield. I also found the Lesser Black-backed Gull, and an Eastern
Phoebe was calling from across the creek at Sherwood Island.

Dennis Varza

DATE	3/16	3/18	3/24	4/1
Tide	Low	Low	High	Low
Time	7:30 	7:40 	7:55	7:10

Brant	138_283_226_454
Canada Goose	16_28_34_8
Mute Swan	7_6_2_5
Gadwall	2_2_2_0
American Wigeon	2_10_0_2
American Black Duck	9_51_11_6
Mallard	14_27_4_10
Greater Scaup	5_16_48_0
Long-tailed Duck	99_212_132_216
Bufflehead	0_42_26_2
Common Goldeneye	0_0_3_0
Hooded Merganser	8_10_0_0
Red-breasted Merganser	30_66_43_46
Red-throated Loon	5_6_2_18
Common Loon	5_8_2_4
Horned Grebe	3_45_8_39
Northern Gannet	0_0_1_0
Great Cormorant2_0_2_5_1
Double-crested Cormorant	0_0_0_2
Killdeer	0_1_0_0
Bonaparte’s Gull	0_0_64_0
Ring-billed Gull Ad.	124_1263_107_106
Ring-billed Gull Im.	5_13_12_30
Herring Gull Ad.   	177_560_124_358
Herring Gull Im.    	14_5_9_50
Great Black-backed Gull Ad.	6_18_10_14
Great Black-backed Gull Im.	0_2_4_3

Burying Hill Beach

DATE	3/16	3/18	3/24	4/1
Tide	mid rising	Low	High	Low
Time	9:30	9:45_10:20	0:15

Brant	190_10_250_25
Canada Goose	10_0_8_0
Mute Swan	0_2_0_2
Gadwall	4_0_0_2
American Wigeon	0_10_0_8
American Black Duck	43_33_14_34
Mallard	6_36_15_6
Long-tailed Duck	88_220_30_480
Common Goldeneye	10_0_0_0
Red-breasted Merganser	32_39_14_10
Red-throated Loon	 0_12_0_36
Common Loon	9_17_2_5
Horned Grebe	6_13_2_9
Great Cormorant	2_1_0_0
Ring Billed Gull	180_80_60/15_44/12	Ad./Im.
Herring Gull	50_34_10_48/5	Ad./Im.
Lessr Black-backed Gull	0_0_0_1
Great Black-backed Gull	2_2_2_2