[CT Birds] spring anticipation

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Apr 1 22:26:33 EDT 2010

Several people have posted recently (and very well) about birds to watch for over the next few days. Here's another thought. This weather is going to send our minds racing ahead, but it's still only the first couple days of April. We're still probably a couple weeks away from any real surge of neotropical migrants, but a few anomalous early records occur every year.

It pays to think of birds that are weeks ahead of schedule as rarities, even if they'll become common before long. This especially applies to birds that are heard but not seen. Over the years I've received a number of reports of what would have been record early arrival dates that involve voice-only IDs. If you hear what sounds like a familiar bird voice well out of season, it really pays to track it down and get a verifying look. It's amazing the array of sounds that can emanate from species such as Tufted Titmice or American Goldfinches (among others) that are very vocal right now.

Greg Hanisek