[CT Birds] Hooded Mergansers

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 09:17:31 EDT 2010

We have a pair of Hooded Mergansers on the pond near our house.  I have seen
a pair there on and off now for a couple of weeks.  Is it possible they will
stay and breed?  Last year I seem to recall seeing them on the pond in the
spring but not for this long.  There is also a pair of Canada Geese that
sound like they are planning to breed there.  This pond is near the Nehantic
State Forest in Lyme but not in the forest.

I am also hearing Eastern Phoebes singing more along with the White Throated
Sparrows, lots of very loud titmice, Red-winged Blackbirds, and other
normal, common birds that are such a joy to listen to!

Julie Keefer