[CT Birds] Turkey Vultures calling

Angeladimmitt at aol.com Angeladimmitt at aol.com
Fri Apr 2 10:02:38 EDT 2010

Was going to send this yesterday then thought it might be taken as an April
 Fool's joke - and that was before I read about the hoax, but this is  for
real.  Gardening, I heard what sounded like a red-shouldered hawk with  a
hoarse, broken voice, calling repeatedly.  I have a pair in the  valley, but
this sounded really weird.  Anyway, a turkey vulture  was gliding quite low
overhead - I followed the calling a full 180 degrees and  then four others
joined it, a second one also calling.  Everything I have  read or observed
says they are "usually silent;  limited to hissing and  grunting" to quote
David Sibley, and two people I bounced this off said they had  never heard such
sounds.  Any comments?
Angela Dimmitt
(and ps, we have a lot of black vultures in New Milford; they and the  TVs
roosting just north of Big Y again at the Works Dept. yard).