[CT Birds] Hooded Mergansers

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Fri Apr 2 15:52:09 EDT 2010

Hi Julie,

While Hooded Mergansers remain sparse breeders in CT, they probably can
breed anywhere with appropriate habitat. Since they are cavity nesters (as
are Wood Ducks and Common Mergansers, two other members of CT's rather
sparse list of breeding waterfowl),  breeders may "disappear" for awhile,
unless they happen to occupy a Wood Duck box that you've been watching.  You
probably won't know if they've bred unless they show up on the pond later
with ducklings. It's also not unuusal for some ducks to linger without
breeding.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury