[CT Birds] Route 44 Powerlines: Devastation

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 16:25:10 EDT 2010

I hadn't been up the powerlines since last year, but it was so beautiful I
thought I'd see what was around. I don't know if this is old news, but CL&P
has clear-cut every tree, shrub and vine for maybe 50 yards on each side of
the powerlines except for a small piece at the start. Brush is piled up on
the sides...it will take a long time for anything to grow here again.

Inexplicably, they carefully avoided cutting the large areas of
phragmites...did they think this was good habitat or something?

I walked up as far as the stream..couldn't get across the high, fast water.
But with my bins I could see that up the hill the clear cut continued. Oh,
and by the way, you now have excellent views of the gigantic McMansions
next to the cut.

Don't expect many prairie or blue-winged warblers...or much else this year.
Long ago they did the same thing on the powerline in back of the Farmington
Ave reservoir. I wrote a piece for the Courant about it. I found out that
the reason they clear-cut is that it makes it easier for CL&P to monitor
the powerlines from the air. After some years, the vegetation came back,
but not the same as before.

I don't know if I am more sad or angry right now!  Birds seen today: one
song sparrow and one American crow.