[CT Birds] The sounds of an early spring evening

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Sat Apr 3 07:41:49 EDT 2010

I went out at dusk last evening to try to see woodcock displays at Nod
Brook WMA. Much of the trail is underwater right now, but the meadows are
okay though wet. No way could I have heard a "peent" because the din of the
frogs was amazing. Maybe all this flooding brought on an increase in
love-sick amphibians!  I left at 7:45 having seen no woodcock, but enjoying
a pleasant experience.

Re mockers and their songs...many years ago when we still had vinyl
records, I purchased a birding by ear album that was done entirely by
mockingbirds!  I still have it somewhere...pretty easy way to record bird
songs without having to go far afield. The mockers did a credible job!