[CT Birds] Ovenbirds in April

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sat Apr 3 14:30:12 EDT 2010

To add to the comments of Greg Hanisek and Jamie Meyers, and as Greg states, there are rare instances in which Ovenbird will overwinter in our state. About twenty years ago, one such hardy individual overwintered in West Simsbury, living off gleanings from a substantial rotting wood pile and copious amounts of suet (this was pre-bears). This bird did successfully survive the winter and it did begin singing in mid-April prior to vacating the yard for points unknown. Other than that one individual, and following Greg's lead, I have not seen nor heard Ovenbird in CT until the last few days of this month.

Jay Kaplan
Canton