[CT Birds] Birding binoculars

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Apr 3 16:33:23 EDT 2010

I would like to mention that some great binoculars, often  overlooked for
birding, are those in or near the 8x32 size.  They have one  advantage over
8x42 which is field of view.  The 8x32 class bins typically  have a MUCH
wider field of view, as much as 100 feet more at 1000 yards.   This means that
when that lifer warbler unexpectedly hops from 1 branch to  another he is
often still in sight, even before you move your bins to follow  him.
Of course in all things optic there are trade-offs.  In  this case it is
the amount of light transmitted.  I do not recommend lower  price range
products such as Vortex Fury or Eagle Optics, in this case, because  you will find
that when you get into that birdy thicket they will seem quite  dark.
However, the higher end binoculars such as Brian is apparently  looking at are
still very good.   I have a pair of   higher end Minox bins (8x33) and they
are excellent.  (Thanks for  the tip on the brand, Mark).  It appears to me
that in all price ranges the  sharpness is about as good as 8x42.  Just an
option to  consider.

Don Morgan
Coventry