[CT Birds] Binocular Q

Mardi Dickinson mardi1 at optonline.net
Sat Apr 3 22:56:10 EDT 2010

Hi Brian et al,

All the ones your thinking about are fantastic high end Binoculars.
Places to buy your optics as mentioned before in CT hands down are;
The Audubon Shop in Madison 203-245-9056 and The Fat Robin in Hamden
203-248-7068. They will always take care of you for anything you need
and let you look through them to compare. These folks are very forth
coming and will always tell you the truth from the get go about a
variety of optics!

For many years like you, I had been using 8x42 B&L Elites. Wonderful
Binoculars. I use them now for my back ups. I now have a pair of Leica
8X42 Ultravid HD that I bought when they first came out and I LOVE
them and can't say enough about them! I have NEVER looked back once
period! If the terminology is correct the Leica has a higher eye point/
eye relief than the B&L Elites. Meaning your eyes are closer when
looking through the Leica's than the Elites.

I too have small hands and my eyes are close together so I like how
Leica can really squeeze the eyepieces together so they line up with
my eyes. Most of the ones you are looking at do too, along with other
points I will be making. They fit very comfortable in my hands, they
don't fog up in the rain, due to the type of new coating on them
(which by the way is not bs). There super rugged and balanced well. As
an optics gal and a very technical photographer and am incredibly
picky about sharpness, and the color of light. These babies are tack
sharp with outstanding detail and the color is true to what you see.
That for me was the answers I needed.

The 8x42's are a great middle of the road for me. I love the 42's
bigger eye area. You can see more come in & out of field. I didn't
want 7x42, not enough power, bright, although great for lightness,
watching butterflies, carrying around other equipment including
camera's. 10x42's to powerful, on boats are great, but heavier, not
bright enough in low light situations. Also think about what else you
are going to be carrying along with your Binoculars and how much
weight you are willing to carry around. Or., Hire or find a sherpa!

As Don has mentioned the 7,8X32's series of any bino's along with the
Minox, is also a great Binocular and absolutely gives a great field of
view., plus they are lighter. I would certainly do the exercise in
comparing them with all the 42 series of bino's though. I have always
said I would love to also have a pair of Leica 32's for traveling if I
had to really go light and space was an issue.

They are all fantastic Binoculars and Manufacturers. It's just a
matter of trying them all out to see what feels the best in your
hands, looking through them, sharpness, color balance and the weight.
After all is said and done its about what is right for you.

Cheers,
Mardi Dickinson
Norwalk
mardi1 at optonline.net