[CT Birds] toads & birds

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 14:15:35 EDT 2010

4/5  Ansonia nature center & Kellog center
I took leisurely walks around Ansonia nature center and Kellog
environmental centers for a bit this afternoon.  Nothing unusual at either,  but the
chorus of American Toads was so hauntingly beautiful at Ansonia.
Song sparrows were heard singing the most at both locations and nesting
Canada geese at both locations. A red tailed hawk at Kellog soared
over-mockingbirds, crows, grackles, flickers, and robins.  I found out that  the
turtles I have been seeing are the painted turtles.
At Ansonia there was a male bluebird in a tree, with house sparrows
occupying a two of the bluebird boxes.  Also cardinals, blue jays,  mourning doves
and robins.  But the highlight today was the  trilling/singing (whatever
the appropriate toad description is) of the American  toad.
Bev Propen, Orange