[CT Birds] Stratford raptors

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 5 16:12:42 EDT 2010

4/5, Straford yard (glued to a lawn chair staring at the sky) from 1:20-2:00p-
(1) Black Vulture (only second I've seen in Stratford, first as a yard bird)
(7) Turkey Vultures, clearly migrating (lol....)
(1) Cooper's hawk (can't tell if its a migrant, or just staging, or looking to breed... present for a few days.  Scared my Palm away!!)
(1) 2 Red-tailed hawks courting**
(1) Osprey (from earlier today)
(1) Red-shouldered hawk
Also, singing Pine warbler, singing Catbird, singing Towhee, singing Junco, singing WT Sparrows, pileated calling and drumming, fierce arieal battle between male Goldfinches.  I also thought I heard a RC Kinglet, but I could not locate.
Man... is there anything better than a day where you can where sandals, shorts, and a light long-sleeve t-shirt and see all our feathered friends while stuck in a lawn chair??  I don't think so.  I am just anxiously waiting to see if last years nesting Hooded warbs will return.  The singing (LOUD and pronouced, for those who know) was steady for a while, slowed (guessing parental duties), then the singing picked up, but with 2 individuals.  I don't know enough about them as far as returning to previous nest sites, but the area they nested in is described to a 'T' in all fiend guides.  Very dense, low vegetation near inland wetlands.  Needless to day, I was more than excited to have such am amaing bird (well, 3!) nesting right in my backyard.  Also the fact that I new it was a Hooded by song before I saw it, and many people told me it was most likely a Magnolia.  Vindication!!
Please, enjoy birds.  Chasing, sitting like a bump on a log, several mile hikes, or just scoping the sound and protecte

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com