[CT Birds] Hurd State Park

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 13:31:30 EDT 2010

4/5 - After seeing all the postings about Hooded Warblers, I walked all
around Hurd, where they usually nest, but if they were there already I did
not find them.  However, there was a Pileated Woodpecker, Red-bellied
Woodpeckers, Downey Woodpeckers, Eastern Bluebirds, Eastern Phoebes,
Black-capped Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, lots of White-breasted Nuthatches,
Cardinals, Pine Warblers, American Robins, American Goldfinches, and those
tiny little jewels, the Golden-crowned Kinglets.   Everyone is pairing off!
One TV buzzed a treetop, eliciting loud chatter from a Red-bellied
Woodpecker who obviously didn't appreciate the visit.

Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"The hummingbird in flight is a water-spark, an incandescent drop of
American fire, the jungle's flaming re'sume', a heavenly, precise rainbow:
 the hummingbird is an arc, a golden thread, a green bonfire!"
--from Ode to the Hummingbird
 by Pablo Neruda