[CT Birds] Hamonasset

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Tue Apr 6 13:46:20 EDT 2010

4/6  9:30AM-11:30AM  Hammonassett SP, Madison
1 rabbit by Moraine trail;  1 White eyed vireo singing and  seen by Moraine
trail- song sounded just like the IBirdPro song-very  cool.
2 pairs of Ospreys on 2 separate platforms, mallards, mute swans, black
ducks, 3 Great Black backed gulls (2 of them were rubbing their bills and
heads  together  :)  ), ring billed gulls, herring gulls, about 20 Brant  by
jetty, 2 Great Egrets,  killdeer, red winged blackbirds, common  grackles, many
tree swallows (1 cute pair on a "No trespassing" sign) other tree  swallows
claiming nest boxes,  robins, cardinals, blue jays, house  sparrows, house
finches, gold finches, mockingbirds, flickers,  carolina  wrens, song
sparrows (mostly in pairs), chipping sparrows, chickadees, white  throated
sparrows, mourning doves, starlings and about 3 seals by Willards  Island trail
-but too far out to determine what kind with just my  binoculars.
On the ride home there was a pair of Osprey on a cell phone tower by Exit
53 in Branford and I noticed a Wind turbine by Q-bridge in New Haven.
American toads were singing in a flooded area of a parking lot on road  to
Meigs Point.
Bev Propen, Orange