[CT Birds] kestral and great blue herons

martin swanhall mswanhall at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 6 17:34:23 EDT 2010

Went home via River Road today and saw 2 great blue herons in 'pond' on River Road opposite River then decided to go up Upper Grassy Hill Road to see what was at 'airstrip/farm' - saw a bird about size of a red-bellied woodpecker perched on the power/phone wires and when a car drive by, it flew off the wire, soared around, and landed on wire further down a bit and I saw pointed wings then it perched again.  I was able to see patterned head and body looked reddish/brown.  It did not 'bob' its tail nor did it hover.  I also thought I heard a killdeer but could it have been the kestral?

Marty from Woodbury