[CT Birds] Louisiana waterthrushs and winter wren, Steep Rock Reservation, Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 7 10:06:53 EDT 2010

Thought I was about time that Louisiana waterthrush should be along the Shepaug River in the Steep Rock Reservation in Washington, CT. I was in the section of the Steep Rock Reservation this morning (Wednesday, 14 April 2010) to the southwest of Washington Depot, on Tunnel Road. Parking at the Riding Ring parking lot on the east side of Shepaug River I walked across the bridge here to the west side of river and then down the Railroad Bed trail to the Boy Scout Camp area. I had my first of three Louisiana water thrush about 300 yards down the Railroad Bed trail right along the river. The bird was singing on territory and I got a good look at this bird. Also had a male common merganser flying up the river here. Continuing down the river on the Railroad Bed trail I had a second Louisiana water thrush singing on the opposite side of the river where a trail goes off to the left towards the scout camp. Just beyond  the Boy Scout Camp area, where the Railroad
 bed trail comes back to the river I crossed a small wooden bridge that goes across a small stream which comes down to the Shepaug River. Up along this small stream on the left I had a singing winter wren, that I was not able to see. Further up this small stream, where one can cross the stream via some rocks, was a third singing Louisiana water thrush. No doubt there are now Louisiana waterthrushs along the Sheapaug River in the Hidden Valley section of the Steep Rock Reservation, going north of Washington Depot off RT 47.

David W Babington
Washington, CT