[CT Birds] Mansfield Center

Jo-Anne Roberts jmrcnslt at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 7 18:53:49 EDT 2010

I have been enjoying watching a Sharp shinned hawk build a nest in the woods behind my house. While I don't really want the intrusion on my regular feeders, it's neat to know that they are scoping out the place. I was under the impression that they build in conifers; none of which live in the woods surrounding my house. Time will tell if they're serious about building.

Also noticed a pair of Eastern Phoebes this afternoon. I'm pretty sure they are the bird that I heard calling all day yesterday, just couldn't spot them.

I've gone ahead and put out a hummingbird feeder even though I've never had them this early. Maybe my wishful thinking will bring them home sooner.

Other typical feeder birds: black capped chickadee, white breasted nuthatch, downy & hairy woodpeckers, tufted titmouse, cardinals and carolina wrens.

Have also heard Barred Owls the last couple of days.

Mansfield Center