[CT Birds] Extralimital Swallow-tailed Kites

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 19:36:58 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Today apparently 2 ST Kites were seen quite close to CT. One was at
12:15pm in Jerusalem, RI. It was observed flying north. Apparently a
bit later in the afternoon one was seen at Montauk, NY. If the timing
of the reports is correct, these are two different birds. This is no
real surprise in mid-April given the unseasonable warmth and
especially moderate southerly winds. These birds are often seen as
fly-bys by single observers, so keep your eyes to the skies over the
next couple days, as that may be your only chance of seeing one around
here. Only rarely do they settle into one location for a while.

The RI bird was photographed beautifully, but sadly most of the RI
reports are not publicly posted to the internet, so they aren't
available online at the moment.

A couple days ago I made a post to my blog listing some rare birds to
watch for over the next few weeks. Check it out if you're interested
in that sort of thing. Many of the possibilities have already been
posted to this list by Dave Provencher and others so I'll spare
listing them here.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
http://shorebirder.blogspot.com/