[CT Birds] Bonaparte's Gulls - Southport Beach

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 9 08:37:55 EDT 2010

4/9 - Southport - Southport Beach -(7:30-8:10AM) 75+ BONAPARTE'S GULLS,many with full hoods

    I had not seen yesterday's  postings about the Bonaparte's Gulls until this morning.The tide was about an hour away from high tide when I arrived and all the birds were in very close to shore.After a few minutes,most of them flew offshore,landed in the water,and began preening and bathing.A few flew back in close to shore.I was able to go through them very carefully and was unable to spot anything other than Bonaparte's.I had not seen Bonaparte's here for the last week.Clearly,they are still around.I have seen them at Southport at almost all stages of the tide,but,low to mid-tide has been best.This morning's sighting shows the birds can appear at any stage of the tide.

Tina Green

Westport