[CT Birds] Process of elimination

philiprusch at charter.net philiprusch at charter.net
Fri Apr 9 11:34:19 EDT 2010

Paul,

Maybe Common Chaffinch?

Phil Rusch
Chaplin

Subject: Process of elimination ..............
From: Carrier Graphics <carriergraphics AT sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2010 07:07:24 -0700 (PDT)

Did you ever get a quick glimpse of a bird that left an impression, but you
just didn't see enough to know what it was? I saw one today.

A group of Goldfinch landed at the top of an oak tree in the yard, But one was
different. This bird was a bit bigger - House finch size, and had a very
prominent white or light area (stripe) on the wing (above and below) where the
primaries and secondaries meet the greater coverts. It quickly flew off with
the Gold finches.

I was excited to find what it was, so I searched my Sibley's for guidance.
Here is my deduction...........

Siskin: has a similar stripe, but is yellow and this bird was noticably bigger.
Evening Grosbeak: Stripe similar, but not as complete - also a larger bird.
Snow Bunting: In a tree? has a light patch, not a stripe.
Rose-breasted or Black headed Grosbeak: Just to big and to chunky.
Brambling: Does have pale wing strip - but Yeah right - need more info.
Western Spindalis: Has a very similar wing pattern ! - do ya think?

Conclusion: I have no idea what this bird was, and need to let it go.......

Paul Carrier - Harwinton