[CT Birds] Ones That Got Away

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 10 07:19:11 EDT 2010

Paul Carrier's very detailed description prompts me to "confess" a sighting of mine.   A couple years ago, I was speeding over the Sikorksy Memorial Bridge on my morning commute.  I don't even recall at the time of this writing, the month of the sighting (to add intrigue, let's call it August).  A quick glance to the right (north) yielded three gray/brown ponderous birds heading up the Housatonic.

Perhaps, just maybe, three Brown Pelicans were heading north past the Sikorsky Aircraft plant towards the Naugatuck Valley.  But stopping a car at 7:40 am on the Route 110-Shelton Exit off the Merritt, to pull out some bins or a scope, is simply not a credible scenario.  'And posting to CTBirds that, "I saw some strange birds, look out for them!", based on a 1 second glimpse, just didn't seem right...

Steve Mayo
Bethany