[CT Birds] early arrival - bats and babies

Carole Donagher cdonagher at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 13:07:57 EDT 2010

There certainly do seem to be a lot of bugs around...

Most of the yard birds have been paired off for a couple of weeks now,
but the Carolina Wren pair has been busy earlier than most - their babies
hatched this morning, and both parents are busily carrying food in every few minutes, and he, by the way, has resumed singing at the top of his lungs.  They are finding a lot of insects (mainly small spiders, it looks like) -- since only a minority of the meals being carried in are mealworms.

Again this year, they have built their nest inside the raffia roost pocket where they spent much of the winter --
that is, when they weren't hiding inside the gas grill - that sure put a stop to winter grilling!

Carole Donagher
Farmington