[CT Birds] Hammo, East Rock

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Apr 12 23:24:24 EDT 2010

When I arrived at Hammo this am around 9:30 and pulled up to  the "swan
pond" west of the rotary, a bird immediately flushed from the  shoreline and
flew to the far side.  It turned out to be a Little Blue  Heron.  It fed there
for about 10 minutes, then took off and circled the  pond and campground
for at least 5 minutes.  Finally it flew off to the  west, but I could not
relocate it down at the west end  marsh.
On the way over to Meig's Point I spotted a raptor in a  roadside tree,
obviously an accipitor.  I believe it was a juvie  Sharp-shinned hawk, as it
appeared tiny, no bigger than a fish crow.   However, it did have a very
obviously rounded tail, molting perhaps?  Later  I saw a Sharpie take off from
the marsh at Willard's Island carrying a Red-wing,  possibly the same hawk.
Near the intersection of the 3 paths at the North  end of Willard's there was
a Brown Thrasher in the underbrush.
I stopped at East Rock on the way home, and saw basically  nothing near
ground level.  However, circling over the river  I  spotted 2 Osprey, one with
a fish, a Red-tail and, the surprise of the day, a  Peregrine Falcon at
tree-top level, right overhead.
Hammo pics:
_http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?trackingid=BTAGC&rlang=en_US&gall
eryid=405bac9f3a904d3899db63a8386d0bac&wf=shareslideshow_

http://tinyurl.com/ybwtxdp

http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?trackingid=BTAGC&rlang=en_US&galle
ryid=405bac9f3a904d3899db63a8386d0bac&wf=shareslideshow

Don Morgan
Coventry