[CT Birds] Snowing feathers

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Apr 14 13:52:39 EDT 2010

Yesterday evening I was out running along a back road. As I ran along my mind was on other matters than my immediate surroundings, what runners sometimes call "zoned out." However as I ran it suddenly occurred to me that I had just ran past feathers falling along the side of the road like snow flakes. Snapping out of my reverie I turned around and ran back. I  looked up where the feathers were still falling, and on top of a telephone pole was an adult Sharp-shinned Hawk shredding the kill it held underfoot. I ran back and forth for a bit to watch (and not stop running) and then continued on my run. At that point I noticed a guy walking along who had obviously seen me running back and forth and who was now angrily looking at me like I was some kind of whacko who was clearly a blot on his neighborhood. Then I noticed a woman standing in her doorway staring at me with an open mouth and furrowed brow. I have long known that non-runners often view runners as ne'er-do-wells and non birders often look upon birders as enviro-terrorists. Now I know what it feels like to be viewed as a running birder. At least no calls to the police were made. That I know of...

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.