[CT Birds] Nesting Yellow-crowneds and banding

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Wed Apr 14 18:46:48 EDT 2010

The nesting Yellow-crowned Night-Herons have returned to the tall
trees at the beginning of the cul-de-sac I live on in Fairfield. I saw
one in flight this morning, spooked by the car and a pair doing a
little housekeeping, around 6:15 this evening. They have been nesting
here from before I have lived here and are seen fairly regularly in
the yards, especially during rain showers.
Last year, four pairs nested, although there are five nests. However,
because of the heavy rain we endured only one pair nested successfully.

In doing my part to protect the birds, I will not disclose the
location of the nests. However, this species is slowly trickling into
CT so keep your heads up.

During banding at the Birdcraft Sanctuary the past two days in
Fairfield we caught the following species in the nets:

Ruby-crowned Kinglet
American Robin
White-throated Sparrow

We also saw the following highlights: