[CT Birds] About White-throated Sparrows in CT.

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 14 21:40:56 EDT 2010

About White-throated Sparrows in CT.

As we all know, bird species are sometimes seen as breeding , then in a few years they become absent.
Back in the CT Breeding Atlas project years - mid 80's, the WTSp was recorded breeding in 21 blocks, mainly in the Northwestern corner. Here we are in 2010, and I don't believe any documented breeding has been confirmed in our State of WTSps for some years now. Last summer we observed a male in far northern Barkhamsted (a past area for breeding WTSps) but did not document it as breeding.
Does anyone know of any WTSps documented as still breeding here in CT, and if so - where?

Note: In past years, the WTSp seemed to nest in the same locations with Juncos here in NW CT. Though the Junco is still commonly found locally here in the northwest as a breeding species, I believe the WTSp has taken a reverse direction, and is now mostly gone if not absent as a breeder from the State. Though a few might still be breeding here, I don't believe any have been documented in several years.

Paul Carrier

Message: 1