[CT Birds] White-throated Sparrow song

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Apr 15 11:32:04 EDT 2010

It's important to remember that White-throated Sparrows are one of the most vocal of the sparrows. They will even sing on mid-winter days. When the hormonal changes kick into full gear (now) White-throateds will sing their little hearts out wherever they are in their migration. So White-throated Sparrow song right now is more about breeding time than breeding location. Additionally we are within the winter range of White-throated Sparrow and they are moving now. So the one you hear singing today might or might not be the one you hear singing tomorrow. Many avian species sing little or virtually not at all during winter or on migration. That is NOT the case with these little guys. I have heard many beautiful dawn choruses but one of my favorite is the high elevation chorus of the White Mountains in late May. White-throated Sparrows mixed with Winter Wren, Blackpoll Warbler, Bicknell's Thrush, Boreal Chickadee, and no human sounds other than my own breathing. Only a couple of months till then...

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.