[CT Birds] white-throat migration

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Thu Apr 15 16:42:49 EDT 2010

While birding Big Days have little redeeming social value (which is probably why they're so much fun), anyone who's done them in the Northeast gains a lot of insight on spring migration timing. Northbound White-throated Sparrows are always on the radar of anyone doing a May Big Day (although having a singing bird on territory is much more reliable). Point is, some will be moving well into May.

I remember once many years ago while doing the World Series of Birding in NJ, we were standing in woods on the Kittatinny Ridge about 2 a.m. when suddenly we were surrounded by White-throat flight calls. What seemed liked hundreds of them were rising up from the forest floor together to begin a nocturnal northbound movement. This would have been somewhere around May 14. I never encountered a number of that magnitude that late before or since, but migrants will be around for awhile. Pretty much the whole eastern US south of CT has to empty out of wintering birds.

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury