[CT Birds] bluebird eggs

jayne.amico at cox.net jayne.amico at cox.net
Thu Apr 15 20:30:38 EDT 2010

 Marty and CT Birders -

Most bluebirds complete their clutch at five so I am guessing the eggs were warm from incubation. The female will incubate for 14 days. I would continue to monitor the box up until the eyes open and then I recommend not disturbing them anymore as it can cause them to fledge prematurely. I like to see them fledge at 18 days of age, they are strong fliers at that point. Earlier than that and the young may end up on the ground  and then would need to be placed back in the nest box.

During rainy weather it is extremely helpful to have live mealworms available for them to consume and to feed their young. During extended periods of rain the insects bluebirds feed are on are not available and they have been known to abandon their young in order to find enough food for their own survival.

 Keep a good lookout for house sparrows and if they are in the area there is an anti - sparrow device you can attach to the nest box to deter them.

Good luck and congrats on hosting a wonderful songbird on your property!

--
Jayne

Jayne Amico
Southington, CT