[CT Birds] White Throated Sparrows and thoughts

Larson Eric eric_r_larson at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 15 20:38:10 EDT 2010

I'm a relatively new birder, converted over the last year from snuffling around the ground looking for emerging spring flowers to picking up my head to look for what flies overhead.

I've been on this list for a few months now, and greatly appreciate the sightings noted by all of you. I value resources like eBird that collate individual observations, providing summaries of individual sightings that make for a broader view of appearances, disappearances, unusual sightings and guidance to head to birding hotspots.

As a scientist, I appreciate compiled data and hope you all will contribute to citizen scientist sites like eBird that can take individual observations and make them more useful by allowing them to be compiled and available for more analysis.

The recent discussion around White-throated sparrows prompted me to respond.  I've enjoyed them at my feeder here in Stonington over the winter, and also caught them shuffling in the underbrush at Bluff Point the other day.  I reported those sighting to eBird, as I try to do with all the birds I see.  I was a little surprised to see them at the Point, but as Marty Swanhall kicked off the thread, it reminded me to look at the eBird site and see that they are nearly year-round residents (save for  late summer and early fall here in New London County).

So I guess my plea to you is the next time you log on to report a sighting on the CTBirdlist, take a little more time to log your observations onto eBird.

Grateful for all your posts,

Eric Larson