[CT Birds] Stratford yard/woods and Silver Sands Baldie

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 16 14:29:55 EDT 2010

4/16, Stratford yard/woods/cut-

I got out of work in time to get into my woods to see who and what was about.  Nothing spectacular, but good numbers of some.  And a downright frigtening encounter with a group of 7 adult buck deer, hoof sprawling and grunting to gain dominance.  I had to keep my Buck knife in hand just in case!  The whole area was boiling with testosterone.  I, like everyone, have about 50 WTSP around still, singing every single possibele variation of thier song.  Mockingbirds in serious battle, catbirds doing the same.... robins, Red-wings, etc...   The nesting crows didn't take too lightly to a giant Raven coming overhead!

(7) E. Towhees (easily more... calling everywhere, 3 singing... birds seen were 5 males and 2 females)

(6) Flickers

(1) Common Raven

(3) Gray Catbirds

(1) Hermit Thrush

(2) E. Phoebes

(ZERO) warblers

Also a black racer and brown 'Dekay's snakes (#2 racer so far this year, Twan!), Mourning cloaks (3) several whites (cabbage or mustard), 1 E. Comma, 3,000,000,000 wood flying wood ants, dusky salamander, wood frog adults and tads, and a curous encounter with single hen turkey who semed to be following me.  I was quite close to last year's nest, so maybe that is why.  Momma Red-tail hovered over me, screaming, as I was looking at her nest. =)

A bit off topic, but still birds... Vermont has already had RB Gros and Wood Thrush.

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com