[CT Birds] Great spotted woodpecker in Ireland - RTE Web site

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 17 09:42:47 EDT 2010

Interesting video of great spotted woodpecker in Ireland at Ireland's national broadcast service's web site, RTE. Ireland has not had any woodpeckers in centuries, but the great spotted woodpecker is now breeding in Ireland. The great spotted woodpeckers apparently arrived in Ireland from the UK where their population have exploded. The drumming of the great spotted woodpecker on the RTE video reminded me of the yellow-bellied sapsucker. The Irish birder in this video was excited to hear and see the great spotted woodpecker to say the least. I went on bird watch tour of Ireland. in 1999. Not too much in the way of forests in Ireland except for some Forest Parks, thus habitat for woodpeckers is limited.

David W Babington
Washington, CT