[CT Birds] Cleaning Bins

The Audubon Shop birdshop at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 17 13:53:09 EDT 2010

I would make the three or four dollar investment for a micro fiber
cleaning cloth if I were you.  They can washed and reused many, many
times over.  A good method for cleaning is to actually lick the ocular.
  This is my favorite and, I think, most effective way of getting rid of
any sand or grit that may be on the lens - important so as to not to
grind the material into the lens causing permanent damage.  After
you're sure the lens is clear of obstructions, gently rub in one
direction with the cloth to clean/polish.  It is very important to
regularly clean the cloth otherwise you'll just be smudging the lens.
If you decide to get some lens cleaner, ROR (Residual Oil Remover) is
by far the best.  Leica and NASA(!) use it.  If used only for your
binocular and scope, a two once bottle should last about ten years!  If
you've never cleaned your binoculars, do a before/after and you'll be
amazed with the difference/improvement.

The Audubon Shop
907 Boston Post Rd.
Madison, CT  06443

US toll free 888-505-9056
fax  203-245-8235
email:birdshop at sbcglobal.net (preferred)

Shop Hours:  M-Sat 10am-5pm ET   Sundays 12-4pm ET