[CT Birds] Blue Bs and House Sparrows

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 17 13:58:52 EDT 2010

About this subject.
 I have over 35 years experience with Bluebird boxes, and with over 200 boxes put up in my town of Harwinton years ago, I hope I might have some suggestions for you.

Number one: The alien House Sparrow is the primary nemeses of all bird boxes. They will usurp any box they want, and often do so. They will kill adult birds sitting on eggs in a box, will destroy eggs and kill the young, then build their own nest on top of them. They are not part of the balance of nature here, for they are an alien bird from Europe. If you have house sparrows in your area, and you don't want to deal with the problem, it is best you do not put up any bird boxes. House Sparrows will always win.........

With that said, it is not Illegal to destroy House Sparrows if you so chose to do so, and this is by far the best solution. If not, then you must do whatever you can to keep things fair and equal for the birds you are looking to attract. One way is to put two boxes 18-20 feet apart from each other with the holes positioned away from each other. The theory is, if a Sparrow nests in one, they will leave the other alone for another to occupy, preferably a Tree Swallow, Bluebird or other indigenous species. BUT - you need to monitor the boxes every week! - Why?

When the Sparrows lay their eggs, you must take them out - but not the nest - and they will lay more eggs - and hopefully leave the other box alone. If you take out the nest, they will most likely usurp the other box occupied or not. This is a way to help the indigenous species fledge their young without having them killed by the sparrows.

I hope this might be of some help...............Paul Carrier