[CT Birds] Cleaning Binoculars

Mardi Dickinson mardi1 at optonline.net
Sun Apr 18 13:21:52 EDT 2010

James et al,

I agree with some of what Jerry and Frank have suggested but would go
another step to to add to the
thread of conversation.

Coming out of the field I always take the time to clean my equipment.
Remember
its always best and highly suggested to keep your optics (no matter
what they are) as
as clean and in good shape as you possible. They will last & hold up a
lot longer.

First, I look over my equipment entirely. Then use my trusty Hakuba
LensPen KA-LP1-Lens cleaning tool.
I carry one with me, have one in the car and at home. This small,
convenient-to-carry LensPen has a retractable
soft brush to whisk away dust particles on one end, a cleaning tip on
the other that can remove smudges from
optical lenses. The cleaning tip replenishes by twisting it into the
cap. Together these tools are effective and
easy to use for cleaning camera lenses, binoculars, scopes and other
optical equipment, even getting to hard
to reach edges with the cleaning tip. This LensPen is
approximatelyfive inches long. Do not use the LensPen
on wet surfaces. I would use this type of pen instead of Q-tips as
they leave other particles on the lens.
It costs around $8-10.00 Dollars

I always have at least 2 clean Microfiber Cloths with me in the field,
including for cleaning at home. I think there are the best type of
cloth to use for optics. Other materials just won't be as effective
and again they will leave particles on your lens $4-15 Dollars. Comes
in many sizes. I also agree with Jerry, It is very important to
regularly clean the cloth
otherwise you'll just be smudging the lens big time. Thats a no no!

ROR Lens Cleaner (Residual Oil Remover) is as Jerry said by far the
best to use. $8-10.00 Dollars

All these items can be bought in CT and other locations
Camera Wholesalers Inc. 877-322-6372. or 203.357-0467.  http://www.camerawholesalers.com/
Milford Photo: 800-221-8086. or 203-882-3415.  http://www.milfordphoto.com/index.html
Hunt Photos: 800-221-1830. www.huntsphotoandvideo.com

Cheers,