[CT Birds] Leucistic Cardinal

Robert Bitondi rjbitondi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 13:49:04 EDT 2010

Pomfret Yard:

I thought I had someone's escaped parakeet in the yard today, turns out it's
a leucistic N. Cardinal.  Leu
Cardinal<http://picasaweb.google.com/rjbitondi/SparrowsFinchesChaseHillPomfretCenter#5461523715065375794>

Another oddity was a pair of Wood Ducks checking out a tree cavity
yesterday.  We're a good half mile from the nearest open pond or swamp, so
it doesn't seem like an obvious nest site for them.  Neat yard bird though.

A pair of Purple Finches has been around for about two weeks.

April 11 we had a Blue H. Vireo.

Our E.Phoebes returned about 2 weeks ago and have rebuilt their nest on the
gutter downspout.  I think one reason why they like this location is its
proximity to our garden pond, which has a lot of moss and leaf detritus in
it; the nest materials are only 15 feet from the nest site. Phoebe
with Moss<http://picasaweb.google.com/rjbitondi/BirdsOfChaseHillRoadPomfretCenterCT#5461531773221064978>

Bob
Pomfret Center