[CT Birds] Cleaning Binoculars

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sun Apr 18 16:21:36 EDT 2010

I will second the idea of carrying a lens pen in the  field.  I have 1 in
my pocket at all times when I am birding.  The  brush does a good job of
removing particles from the lens, and the buffing pad  (combined with a little
moisture from your breath) will take off most oily  fingerprints and small
spots from tears or etc.  Generally, I use a  microfiber cloth (and breath) to
remove as much as possible before I use the  buffing pad.  I have used the
"licking" method a few times to clean major  messes (mayo and mustard from
my sandwich, etc.) from the lens, but I would  avoid that whenever possible.
Saliva is a fairly good solvent, but it  also contains the remains of
everything you have eaten in the last few hours,  which could put down a pretty
good film on the lens.  I use a little cloth  pouch like Spudz, which is
attached to the strap of my binoculars, to carry a  microfibre cloth, and I have
one at all times on every pair of bins I take to  the field.  Periodically
I take the pouch off of the bins and turn it  inside out so the cloth is
completely exposed.  I don't use a detergent,  but I rinse the cloth thoroughly
with very hot water to remove any residue  from whatever I have cleaned off
the lenses.  I have not used or seen ROR,  and Amazon does not carry it
yet, but I do carry a bottle of lens cleaning spray  such as you can get at an
optical store.  I have a spray bottle of Zeiss  cleaner that I got from CMBO
in Cape May.  I apply it to the microfibre  cloth first, then clean the
lens.  I am amazed how much debris can  accumulate on the lenses of my bins in
just one day of  birding.
Don Morgan