[CT Birds] Boothe Hawk Watch/Earth Day pictures

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sun Apr 18 19:25:11 EDT 2010

First of all, our friend Frank Gallo posted to this list a short account of
the annual CAS Earth Day clean-up that took place at Milford Point
yesterday. For more information about the event and some pictures you can
check the blog at: http://ctaudubon.blogspot.com/

Charlie Barnard, Brian Webster, and myself spent different parts of today at
the hawk watch site at Boothe Park in Stratford. The hour I spent there with
Charlie yielded 13 Broad-wing, 3 Sharp-shinned, and 1 adult Bald Eagle who
gave us nice views. We had the usual Red-tails around, one performing a
display flight, soaring and diving. I'm sure we would have posted a very
respectable Broad-wing total had we watched the duration of the day.

Today was also another strong day of Double-crested Cormorant movement.
Charlie and I had a small group extremely high in the sky at Boothe, and I
had 2 groups totaling 26 fly over Stratford Point in the hour I was there. I
can only imagine how many flew by all day. There are still Brant and
Red-breasted Merganser around as well. The views across the Sound were
exceptional this afternoon, with many details of Long Island easy to see.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Stratford, CT