[CT Birds] Broadwings, etc.

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 14:17:00 EDT 2010

4/19 - I was out doing the HAS Spring Count in Glastonbury (got my FOY Palm
Warbler).  I was at Wickham Park listening to the Louisiana Waterthrush sing
when I heard a Broadwinged Hawk call.  There were so many Blue Jays around,
I thought it was one of them.  When I heard it again, I imitated it and got
a response.  Looking up through the trees, I found that there was a small
kettle of BW's right over my head.  I counted somewhere between 6-8.
So...I jumped in the car and headed for the old Peak Mountain hawkwatch site
in East Granby.  Over a period of three hours I counted 33 BW's trickling
through along with 2 Osprey, 1 Sharpie, 1 Great Blue Heron, 1 American
Kestrel, and a host of local Red-tailed Hawks and Turkey Vultures.  Nice.

--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"The hummingbird in flight is a water-spark, an incandescent drop of
American fire, the jungle's flaming re'sume', a heavenly, precise rainbow:
 the hummingbird is an arc, a golden thread, a green bonfire!"
--from Ode to the Hummingbird
 by Pablo Neruda