[CT Birds] Likely OT: Hi-pitched nighttime single call--Bird, Toad or Frog?

Barbara Garrett barbaragarrett at optonline.net
Tue Apr 20 10:50:23 EDT 2010

Hi everyone,

For years I've heard deep into the night something that sounds like a bird making a single, short (1-3 seconds) call which is very high pitched.  There are medium-long intervals between calls.  I have heard this not only in summer, but late into fall/early winter.  I live in north Stamford with 90-foot hard woods surrounding my home and bordering "wetlands" which, depending on the rainfall, are often dry at ground level.

I suspect it is a toad, but through my research I cannot ID it.  Can anyone help?

north Stamford