[CT Birds] Likely OT: Hi-pitched nighttime single call--Bird, Toad or Frog?

twan leenders tleenders at ctaudubon.org
Tue Apr 20 14:52:39 EDT 2010

You can check out local amphibian calls on the online amphibian guide of the Peabody Museum:

If the calls are produced by amphibians, your best bet this time of year would be Spring Peeper, American Toad, or on an exceptionally warm April night, Grey Tree Frog. Amazingly, I've heard tree frogs calling in my Torrington backyard on at least three nights already this year! The latter two species' calls sound more like a trill than a "peep" though.

Twan Leenders
Conservation Biologist
Connecticut Audubon Society
2325 Burr Street