[CT Birds] Long Beach Glauco continues

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 20 15:14:26 EDT 2010

4/10, Long Beach in Stratford around 1:30ish-

(1) Glaucous gull continues  (was this bird deemed a 1st or 2nd cycle?  Not too long ago there were two, both under 1-2st winter. The Glauco was near the beginning of the parking today, but flushed somewhat often because a lot was going on on the beach today.)

(2) Horned grebes (one if amazing breeding plumage... something I've not seen as close as today**)

(x) small gorup of seaducks.  Didn't have optics so....  they were in a tight, tight group (scaup), I saw no white to show Merganser or Goldeneye, they were about 50-75 yards out past a jetty...  I thought Goldeneye (though scaup do/must also) stayed further out.  This group was in closer than the the normal large rafts pf Goldeneye off Long Beach, Stratrford.

Anyone could perhaps give some insight as to that?  It is interesting to me how all these seaducks, in the same body of water, evolved into their own 'niche'.

Also, a good amount of DC Cormorants on exposd rocks and a group flying in thier mis-shapen 'V'.  Brant still in large numbers from Milford Point to Stratford Point.

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com