[CT Birds] Southport Survey #229

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Apr 21 08:35:43 EDT 2010

This Survey was don on 4/20/10. I was preoccuied to get it out yesterday

Southport Survey # 229
The tide was falling with Sunken Island completely covered. The water
was calm and the sky clear. It was clear enough to see the Empire
Stat Building. Most of the action was off shore with all the Red-
throated Loons moving about at maximum distance. There were a couple
of flights of Double-crested Cormorants accounting for the large
numbers. One flight flew inland around the mouth of the Mill River. I
could not tell wether they continued to fly inland or just cut across
Fairfield towards Stratford. Long-tailed Ducks have been reduced to 1
bird and Red-breasted Mergansers to a few fly-bys.

Look at the gulls, first winter Ring-billed Gulls make up 50% of the
birds compared to 10% in winter. First Winter Herring Gulls are very
localized. One may hardly see any then there will be a patch of
exposed flats where nearly all the birds are first winter. At
Southport Beach, there is double the number of Great Black-backed
Gulls as compared to the past. Also there is a larger number of
“speckle-backs” compared to the winter.

Bonaparte’s Gulls are now down to 4 birds. On this survey, I have
seen later Bonaparte’s Gulls once on 29 Apr. 2007.

I hope to get 2 more surveys in before the end of the season

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	4/10	4/11	4/15	4/20
Tide	High	High	Low	High