[CT Birds] Stratford migrants and rails 4/21

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 12:02:32 EDT 2010

I headed out early this morning (5am, 21 April) to search for night birds at the McKinney NWR in Stratford.  No owls, but heard 4 Clapper Rails and 1 Virginia Rail.  Then 7am I encountered a flock of migrant warblers foraging in the small woodlot (Long Beach Blvd.) by the Warehouse Pond:  14 Yellow-rumped, 1 Northern Parula, 1 Palm, 1 (drab) Pine.  They moved out by 7:30.  Also 1 r-c kinglet and 12 Boat-tailed Grackles, heard one Willet.

And off the Lordship Seawall (Washington Blvd) on the glass-calm waters, 110 loons ( 15 Common, 50 red-throated, 45 unidentified - too far out and in haze).

Frank Mantlik
Stratford