[CT Birds] junco and WTSp departures

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Wed Apr 21 20:09:17 EDT 2010

Did some research on the spring departures of White-throated Sparrow and Junco
here from my yard in Harwinton CT over the past 25 years of keeping records.

WHITE-THROATED SPARROW: The earliest final spring departure was - April 8, 1995
                                                           The latest final spring departure was - May 21, 2006

                                                                    Average departure spring date: April 29

JUNCO:                                          The earliest final spring departure was - April 8, 1995
                                                           The latest final spring departure was - May 13, 1996

                                                                    Average departure spring date: April 25

Both these birds do not breed in my area, but the Junco does nest just 5 miles north of here.

Paul Carrier

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth
find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts."  ......Rachel Carson