[CT Birds] Osprey behavior question

Larson Eric eric_r_larson at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 22 11:41:17 EDT 2010

Yesterday morning and again this morning I was watching an osprey over Knox preserve perform some aerial stunts that left me baffled.  Each time the bird was holding a fish (which was apparently long past caring about anything).  The bird was roughly 50-100 feet off the ground, and it would alternately dive, wings part way back, for twenty to 40 feet, pull up, fly back directly up to its original altitude, then repeat the stunt, all the while making a hunting call.  It repeated the act a dozen times (after which time I left).

There are two pair of nesting birds in the area, one pair hatching eggs and the other I'm less certain of.  I don't know if the acrobatic bird was one of those pair, since each nest held only one bird at the time.  Another osprey came by, but just flew past and seemed unperturbed.

Any ideas as to what was going on?

Eric Larson