[CT Birds] Color variation in chipping sparrows?

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 23 07:53:06 EDT 2010

I was hiking through Machimoodus SP yesterday...excellent place!  I was
hearing chipping sparrows frequently. I saw one sparrow in a tree which was
NOT singing but I assumed was a chippie...however, when it turned its back
to me I saw it was almost white with pale rufous markings. It also seemed a
bit larger than chipping, though it did have the rufous head head patch and
unstreaked breast. Did not get a good look at facial markings.

Do chipping sparrows have color variants?