[CT Birds] Sherwood Island

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 23 13:38:27 EDT 2010

4/23, Sherwood Island SP, Westport (8-10:15isha)-

Tina Green was nice enough to give me a tour of the park, as I've only been once, and in one spot.

We managed 43 species, yet only one warbler.

Highlights include:

(1) Yellow warbler

(7-8) Willet

(7) Snipe  (seen at model airplane field and east end)

(4) Brown Thrashers ('new creek' at east end, 2 at the nature center, 1 at the west end)

The Mill Pond was empty other than a pair of Mallards and Black Ducks, and one Great Blue Heron.  LIS was dead as well.  Still several Brant, but only a small group of RB mergs and a single RT Loon.  Many singing Chippers and Song sparrows, and a few Barn and Tree swallows were also around.  Killdeer everywhere.

(Thanks again, Tina!!)

Brian Webster
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com